Wednesday, December 9, 2020

New Scotus essay

 Scotus seems to be in danger of becoming more mainstream. I came across the announcement of a forthcoming article in the American Catholic Philosophical Quarterly today, abstract is below.


Yul Kim
Why Does the Wood Not Ignite Itself? Duns Scotus’s Defense of the Will’s Self-Motion
The goal of this paper is to analyze the response of John Duns Scotus to Godfrey of Fontaines’s argument against Henry of Ghent’s theory of the will’s self-motion. Godfrey’s argument is that, if the object is assumed to be causa sine qua non and the efficient causality is totally attributed to the will in the act of volition, it would also follow that not only the will’s motion but every motion in nature, such as, for example, the igniting of wood, is a self-motion. In this paper, I will explain that Scotus’s refutation of this argument in Reportatio II, d. 25 is based on his reflection upon the general possibility of self-motion as well as upon the indeterminacy of the will’s act. In doing so, I will show that the development of Scotus’s theory of the will’s motion is closely related to his universalized theory of self-motion.

4 comments:

scolairebocht said...

Here is another modern essay on John Duns Scotus: http://www.orwellianireland.com/scotus.html .

Garrett said...

Thanks for this! I will try to write up some remarks on it for my next post.

James A. Given said...

Is there an essay on Duns Scotus at the Orwellian Ireland publisher site? I didn't see it-

In re the essay in ACPQ, one can't buy it. Will this change e.g. next month? I would pay for this because I am profoundly interested in the specific topic. But my memory of ACPQ is that little of it concerns the Scholastics, so I am reluctant to subscribe. Any advice is welcome-

James A. Given said...

Please ignore my erroneous first comment. Found it- JAG